Libraries NI is of the view that the recommendations, outlined in the Strategic Review (available from the Library), if implemented, will lead to an improved service for people in Northern Ireland through:
- Modernised and upgraded buildings
- A move towards opening hours for libraries and provision providing extended access during evenings and at weekends, to reflect modern lifestyle needs.
- More staff time available for individual customer support.
- Improved stock.
- Improved facilities to support lifelong learning and access to information.
- Greater access to a range of activities and events to support culture and heritage.
Libraries NI has a vision of providing a network of libraries throughout Northern Ireland with Improved resources and facilities as follows:
Libraries which will -
Open a minimum of 30 hours per week 10 of which will be outside normal business hours and offering:
· Dedicated meetings room space
· Flexibility for community space
· Computers configured in a way which can be used as a learning space
· One-to-one support
· Regular learning activities
· Zoning (teenage, quiet study space)
Larger libraries which will:
Open a minimum of 50 hours per week of which 15 will be outside normal business hours and offering:
· The same as above PLUS
· Specialist collections including local studies materials in a range of formats.
· Specialist ICT facilities
· Meeting rooms
· Dedicated exhibition space
PROPOSAL 2 seeks to close the following libraries
CARNLOUGH KELLS & CONNOR
Libraries NI seeks to cluster the Armagh Library and the Irish and local studies service on a single site